Subject and Keywords:
The Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession during the era of People's Republic of Poland was one of the few churches functioning on the basis of prewar regulations, which were only amended. For this reason, the Church did not have to conduct negotiations with the state authorities in order to regulate its legal existence. Shortly after the Second World War, in 1947, the Church obtained a stable legal position in the form of a decree, which was later amended by statue. The communist law accepted the legal personality not only of the Church as a whole, but also of dioceses and parishes, which greatly simplified its functioning. However, the Church struggled with various barriers and restrictions. The pre-war decree, which guaranteed state aid for Church and a variety of privileges, was at the same time still binding and not applicable, and the communist law gave the state authorities a number of tools allowing them to interfere with internal affairs of the Church. The article discusses the extent to which the state authorities interfered in the appointments to church posts in period between 1945 and 1959.